http://www.ballycastleparish.com   Sunday, 22 October, 2017  
borderborder
flower image
borderborder
 arrow 
Home History New School
border border

Parish Bulletin

Visitors Counter

mod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_counter
mod_vvisit_counterToday321
mod_vvisit_counterYesterday306
mod_vvisit_counterThis week321
mod_vvisit_counterLast week2260
mod_vvisit_counterThis month6978
mod_vvisit_counterLast month10506
mod_vvisit_counterAll days280524



New School
In 1853 Father James McGlennon built a school beside the chapel at Fairhill.  The application to the Commissioners for Grant Aid gives the details of the building:
“The house is new with one schoolroom 30 feet by 20 feet.  Six desks each 14 feet in length, entirely new:  a master’s desk with a locker for books etc., a few forms and blackboards.  Archibald McKinley, (a native of Carey parish) aged 33 years is the teacher.  The average attendance is 85: about one half is males.  The school hours are from 10 o’clock till 3 pm.
The whole of Saturday each week is set apart for Religious Instruction.  There is also a Sunday school.  The books used will be those of the National Board.  Visitors will be admitted at all times during school hours.  The school is under the management of the Revd. James McGlennon , P.P. Ballycastle”.
 


go to top Go To Top go to top
border borderborder border
     
border
This website was developed by GetOnline
border
border